Life, Loves, Interests and Happenings of a too fabulous mom!

Life, Loves, Interests and Happenings of a too fabulous mom!

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Appreciation: The lack of forks

A few weeks ago, Brian and I took a trip with Daniel for an extended weekend to Chicago to celebrate his birthday. It was wonderful. Really. It's so easy for me to be thankful for in-laws like the ones I have. It takes time for me to even really register when someone makes an in-law joke because they don't apply to mine. Brian's mother is always respectful, always friendly....his father's dry humor always makes me laugh and his brothers and sisters-in-law I've come to love.
Little things like the relationships with people are the bit parts of family trips that we all can appreciate I think. It's the details that trip us up.
By nature, I tend to be a little to the right in favor of cynicism. I always tend to be able to think of a snide remark, to raise an eyebrow and look to the pal next to me when an awkward moment rears her head, or offer a comment of semi thoughtless banter if the situation presents itself. Like being given a huge, moist cheesecake only to realize that no one thought to bring forks. The cheesecake can lose its luster cause dang! Now we have to wait to gain 5 pounds!
On one of our last days during our visit, we went to Navy Pier for their annual tall ships show. Dozens of ships from around the world dock at Navy Pier to show citizens their details, stories, and amaze the public with just how long you must stand in line to view them. Seriously, they even had signs up at postings in the line. "From this point forward, expected waiting time is: 50 minutes".
And that wasn't even the back of the line.
But in all, it was wonderful. We ate on the pier, watched some music, looked at ships, and just enjoyed the hot, hot day. The only time Brian and I had visited Chicago together before then was always in the winter. I had said before that Chicago citizens must hate themselves because those winters are awful. But the summer makes up for the winters I've learned. It can rival any Georgia heat when you're standing 100 yards into the Pier.
Four hours after arriving, we're getting ready to leave and to hopefully, catch the free city trolley that can take us near our parking deck in the middle of the city. You can imagine, with a landmark date like tall ships, how long the line for the free trolley can be. But, they come every 15-20 minutes and normally empty out when they arrive so the line is moving quickly. By the time we're waiting for 'our' trolley, we're the first people in line. Sure enough, another trolley comes around the corner....unloads its passengers, and the driver stands up, leans out the window and says, "10 minute break. I'm gonna take it. Another one will be by soon." Door closes and off he goes.
Whatever your response is in your head right now, trust me---mine had more four letter words. Of course his break had to be just when Daniel decided he was a little too hot for comfort and my pants were chafing. We have a 14 month old whose been in the heat the entire day and a family ready to get home and kick up our sneakers and bunions. Just saying.....it had been alot of walkin.
I'm fixin' to look back at Brian and share this opinion when I hear the mother behind us talk to her three children.
"Wow. Can you guys imagine how hard he's probably worked today? There's alot of people I bet he's been helping get to their vehicles. He's definitely deserved this break. I hope he enjoys it, don't you? You know why this trolley is free?? Well....when you grow up, you get a job, and the city takes a little money out each month for taxes, and those taxes go to pay....."
I was ready to let Daniel hear every adjective in the book to describe this guy in my eyes and this mother is using the moment of my impatience as not only a lesson in gratitude but a social studies recap too!
I was instantly embarrassed.
From then on, I was going to make it a personal mission to try and find things to be grateful about. Turn ordinarily pissed off situations into moments to euphoria----if the mommy Dali Lama by the trolley can do it, then dang it, surely I can learn too!
Daniel is starting to learn small, every day words. Every animal is now greeted with an enthusiastic label of 'Puppy!'......every bite of food is, "bite".....and every item whether a cell phone, piece of toast or a towel is, "mine". We've started on the word "more" to indicate when more food or another toy is wanted. Upon coming back from Chicago, I started attempting to teach Daniel how to say, "Thank You." It didn't fail to reach my attention that in order for my son to learn those two golden words, mommy needed to use them more as well.
I'm trying now to appreciate the cake, even with the lack of utensils.
Because really, isn't it always more fun to eat with your hands anyway???

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this! I can definitely learn a lot from this post, girl. I am such an impatient and cynical person. I seriously have a problem. I love "Mommy Dali Lamma" and want to be her when I grow up :)

    ReplyDelete